NOWHERE IS TOO FAR FROM FDR!!
While vacationing at the Franklyn D. Resort & Spa there are multitudes of sightseeing tours and attractions to see, where you will have the chance to experience and explore the best of Jamaica! The following optional tours are all within approximately 30 minutes travel of the Resort and are available from our Front Desk.
OCHO RIOS SHOPPING TOUR (Included in your vacation package)
- Tour Description - Take a scenic 30 minute drive to check out the deals in the native craft markets, the local clothing, music, art galleries and duty-free shops for the best in unusual souvenirs and gifts. Fill your senses with the sights, sounds, flavors and aromas of this bustling town.
Complimentary shuttle service departs the hotel on Thursdays at 2:30p.m. and Saturdays at 10:30a.m.
DUNN’S RIVER FALLS
- Tour Description - Jamaica’s world famous sightseeing attraction, Dunn’s River Falls is only a 20 minute drive away. A truly outstanding treasure, thousands of visitors and guests have fun while climbing the 600 feet cascades every year. Visitors climb from the base of the falls, hand in hand like a human daisy chain, guided by competent staff. While climbing along, refresh yourself in the myriads of lagoons that you pass along the way. Dunn’s River Falls was featured in the James Bond move “Dr. No”. You can hang out after at the Dunn’s River beach where the well known scene of Ursula Andress walking out of the water in movie was filmed.
Tours leave from our Front Desk on Mondays at 2:30p.m. and Wednesdays at 9:30a.m. Prices cover round trip transfer and entrance fee to the park.
GOLF (Right across the street)
- Tour Description - The SuperClubs seventy two (72) par, eighteen (18) hole championship golf course, right across the street from the Resort offers an exhilarating experience for beginners and accomplished golfers alike. Designed by Commander John Harris from Britain, this golf course has long rolling fairways and large flat greens protected by grassy mounds and sandbunkers.
The course measures 5,389 yards and is slope rated 117 from the forward trees. From the back it measures 6,870 yards and is slope rated 124. The course is well trapped, protecting it from certain errant shots and wind gusts of up to 35 mph.
CHUKKA CARIBBEAN ADVENTURES
- Tour Description - Only a 15 minute drive from the Resort, Chukka Caribbean Adventures operates the highest quality tours with well trained guides and stringent safety standards. Guests are taken on some of the wildest and most fun-filled excursions, amidst the natural beauty of the Caribbean. A sampling of the tours available are:
Horse Back Ride n’ Swim– A 3 hour horseback ride through historic St. Ann. The tour takes you through Richmond and Llandovery, two of the oldest sugar estates on the island. Enjoy complimentary refreshments whilst your guides unsaddle your mounts and take you on an amazing bareback ride in the Caribbean Sea.
4×4 Off-Road Safaris- Hop onto a Zebra Striped Safari 4×4 right at the Resort’s lobby and enjoy a tour their Dunn’s River Safari Tour where you will drive up Fern Gully with 200 different ferns, passing through small villages and visiting a working Cattle Station and small Coffee Plantation. The highlight of this tour is Dunn’s River Falls where you can climb the 600′ cascades. The Bob Marley Safari Tour takes you through some of the most breathtaking scenery in Jamaica to the quaint village of Nine Mile, where the legendary “King of Reggae” was born and laid to rest. Tour Bob’s childhood home and stand on “Mount Zion Rock” where he used to meditate.
River Tubing Safari - Explore one of the eight rivers in the aptly named Ocho Rios that the Spanish found. Your adventure begins at the 17th century landmark, “Spanish Bridge”. A three mile ride down the White River shows you the beauty of Jamaica as you pass through coconut plantations and bamboo groves along the river bank. Enjoy challenging rapids and enchanting lagoons, your river ride ends at the White River Valley, a garden paradise with over 100 species of flowers for your viewing pleasure.
Zipline Canopy Tour - Available in the mountains right near Chukka Cove or at the White River, the adventurous soars above treetops and through trees using an intricate system of harnesses, pulleys and carabiners on horizontal traverses, swinging from platform to platform. While becoming like “Tarzan” or “Jane”, enjoy the lush green vegetation and the sounds of nature all around you!\
Too numerous to list, Chukka Caribbean Adventures offer also other tours such as their Dune Buggy Adventures, Zion Bus Line, River Kayaks and Dogsled Tour.
- Tour Description - Unquestionably one of the most popular and exciting tours in Ocho Rios. See and actually touch or swim with real live dolphins or sharks. Interact with stingrays (barbs clipped), exotic birds, snakes and iguanas, captain your own mini-boat or go glass bottom kayaking on the Caribbean Sea.
Packages available are:
Touch Encounter – Enjoy a kiss by a dolphin as they allow you to caress them while standing in knee deep water.
Encounter Swim – Interact with one dolphin while swimming in the deep. Enjoy a kiss, try a dance and maybe you’ll get a splash or two while on your up close experience.
Swim With – Marvel in this up close experience as you interact with two dolphins while swimming in the deep in their beautiful cove. They may give you a dorsal pull and or a foot push, along with a kiss or a dance.
Swim, Hold and Feed the Sharks – Another highlight of Dolphin Cove is the opportunity to meet the most fascinating and fearsome of all sea creatures, “The Shark”. Guests get the chance to hold, touch feed and explore by swimming in the same waters as these sharks. Learn the deep secrets of the Caribbean Sharks under careful supervision of their highly trained shark encounter facilitators. You will move beyond your natural fears and enter a world of discovery.
GREEN GROTTO CAVES
- Tour Description - Amongst Jamaica’s most prominent natural attractions, wander through a maze of stalactites and stalagmites, passageways and chambers until you reach the deepest cavern and the grotto lake. Centuries ago, these historic caves provided shelter for the Tainos. Later they served as a safe hideout for the Spanish, and then as a storage spot for smugglers who ran arms to Cuba in the 1930′s. The caves were more recently used as a rum storehouse. Great for spelunkers!
BLUE MOUNTAIN TOUR COMPANY
- Tour Description - Should families wish to venture out and see the world famous Jamaican Blue Mountains or beautiful Port Antonio, the Blue Mountain Tour Company will pick you up at our Lobby.
Blue Mountain Bicycle Tour – This is an all day tour that takes you on a bus, to the top of the Blue Mountains. You will bicycle all the way down the mountainsides and rolling hills. A grand way to see Jamaica. This tour is ideal for Mom and Dad or the whole family – you will experience and photograph the world famous Jamaican Blue Mountains and island culture and lush, tropical countryside – all while riding out in the fresh Jamaican air.
Lunch and transportation is provided by the Tour Company.
Bicycle ride duration – 11/2 to 21/2 hours, 9 to 18 miles downhill.
Kids must be seven (7) years of age and older.